Heura, Europe's fastest-growing plant-based meat brand has announced that it has tripled its turnover in the past year. In 2020, Heura finished the year with a turnover of 8m, up from 2.5m in 2019. In addition, the brand has rapidly expanded, and now has a presence in thirteen countries - up from six in 2019.
[MEPRwire, Wed Jan 20 2021] Heura, Europe's fastest-growing plant-based meat brand has announced that it has tripled its turnover in the past year. In 2020, Heura finished the year with a turnover of 8m, up from 2.5m in 2019. In addition, the brand has rapidly expanded, and now has a presence in thirteen countries - up from six in 2019.
During the final quarter of 2020, Heura was able to achieve the same turnover as the entirety of 2019, demonstrating the brand's sustained exponential growth despite an adverse environment triggered by the global coronavirus pandemic.
As a company rooted in activism, Heura is also proud of the positive impact that the company has had on both the environment and animal welfare over the past year. In 2020, the brand was able to save:
- more than 3,000 million liters of water - the equivalent of 50 million showers or 1,232 Olympic swimming pools;
- more than 6.7 million kg of CO2 - the equivalent of travelling over 27million km by car; or travelling the circumference of the earth almost 700 times
- the lives of more than 400,000 animals
Heura was founded in 2017 by food activists Marc Coloma and Bernat Añaños. Its expansion to date has been part-funded by investors including New Crop Capital, a US-based venture capital firm investing in products which replace conventional animal agriculture.
In the coming year, Heura plans to continue expanding its portfolio, team, and international presence, while working day-to-day on price parity to make plant-based food more accessible to everyone.
Heura currently employs 38 people in its Barcelona headquarters (Heura House) and is planning to double its team by the end of 2021. In terms of international expansion, France, Italy , the UK, the Netherlands and Poland are the priorities during the first semester of the year.
In terms of innovation, Heura has brought to the plant-based sector a transformative 'fat analogue' made with extra virgin olive oil to produce a plant-based burger with 85% less saturated fat than an animal meat burger. This innovation will also be applied to all new product developments for 2021 where the Mediterranean company will expand its portfolio with new products.
Heura co-founder and CEO Marc Coloma said:
"Our latest financial figures show how the companies of the future will be mission driven. Having a purpose bigger than ourselves encourages the continued strong growth of Heura and cements our position as Europe's fastest-growing plant-based meat brand.
"As a company whose mission is to change the way we eat for the better, far more important is what these numbers represent in terms of protecting our environment and avoiding the slaughter of animals."
"We're particularly thrilled that we have been able to double our international presence by bringing our products to seven new countries. My co-founder Bernat Añaños and I started Heura in April 2017 as two millennials on a mission to change the world. As we head towards our fourth year, we are proud of how far we've come and look forward to creating even more positive change in the years to come."
Heura's rapid expansion comes at a time where the plant-based sector as a whole is expected to reach a staggering $480.43 billion globally by 2024, according to a recent report from BIS research. In the UK, the plant-based sector has grown by 40% in the past five years, with vegans and vegetarians expected to make up a quarter of the British population by 2025.
- Heura is a 100% plant-based meat start-up. Its mission is to create solutions that make the current food system obsolete and accelerate the transition to a world in which animals are out of the protein production equation entirely. Its Mediterranean roots are reflected in its products, which all have a clean label, high nutritional values, and exceptional flavour. Founded by food activists Marc Coloma and Bernat Añaños, Heura was born in April 2017 and is currently present in 3,000 points of sale in 13 countries around the world: Spain, Andorra, Portugal, France, the Netherlands, the UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Malaysia, Egypt, Canada and Chile.
- Photos of Heura products for the media can be found here.
- For media requests please contact:
- Alex Jungwirth, Senior Account Director at Apollo Strategic Communications: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. + 44 (0) 207 871 0587
- Irene Altadill, International Communications at Heura Foods: email@example.com, +34 646 55 53 31